Sunday, May 20, 2012

Savannah

After the cemetery, we headed once more into town, and took a trolley tour around the many squares that comprise the city, getting a good overview and history.......a favorite thing we do when visiting someplace new.  Some of the photos may be crooked but I am posting them as is, shot from the moving trolley!

We got off at Riverwalk again, and had a lovely lunch at Huey's, after discovering that Wilke's Boarding House is closed on weekends.   Next trip!  But we were not disappointed by the delicious muffaletta sandwiches, and the simply heavenly plate of beignet we ordered to complete the meal!  I was still smacking my lips and dreaming of more long after our meal was finished!

As I mentioned, the buildings along the way are old cotton warehouses, and the offices above, called Factor's Row, were for the factors, or brokers, of the cotton trade, who started the cotton exchange, and set prices worldwide.  Iron bridges gapped the space between the offices and the bluff, and were called the Factor's Walk.

Ironwork was a sign of wealth.




The Cotton Exchange


Just one of the lovely squares

The Mercer/Williams House

After lunch we walked up Bull Street from the gold domed Capital Building, through several lovely squares,  to the Mercer House, where we took a guided tour through house and gardens, still a primary residence of the sister of the antique dealer Mr. Williams, who allegedly shot his lover and became the subject of "the book."  A full, fun, satisfying day!

2 comments:

  1. Bummer that Wilkes was closed when you were there it is so much fun, you would have loved it. Isn't it beautiful there! I just loved it and want to take Allen back there some day. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very disappointed! But it is so beautiful, we will be back. Allen would love it, too!

    ReplyDelete