Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Roadside America
After a tremendous amount of deliberation, we decided to follow the route today that would take us past Roadside America, 8000 square feet of railroad and miniatures that I found listed in 1000 Places to See Before You Die! Can you believe that Clem doubted me?? He just was not so sure we should bother with this one! Well, it was pretty amazing! Started in the 30's, completely constructed by hand by one man, the cathedral alone took many years, and has all handpainted glass! At various points around the room, you could press a button and bring something into action, like the men sawing wood, or a circus moving around a ring.
Clem was on the phone to one of his train buddies not five minutes into the layout! At one point, we even walked under a waterfall, bringing to mind my hiking in the Columbia River Gorge! At another area, you could walk down a level and see caverns, much like the ones that are prevalent in this part of the country, complete with stalactites and stalagmites. Very neat, but worries me the way Clem was studying it......will we need MORE room for the HO trains???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





WOW!!
ReplyDeleteI really get very excited when I see all the places you're going, and the sites, and the DINNER YOU PREPARED! We're having chicken tonight, with potato salad and beans. I'm trying to convince Joe to cook those potatoes outside like yours.
ReplyDeleteJim supposed to be arriving today.....we'll see him Sat nite.
I'm glad your friend Jordan reminded you about the date.....I missed it too, but thought I was missing it 'somewhere'?
ReplyDeleteThe potatoes were so easy, and very good! Cut them up and put in a foil package with some butter, S&P and a bit of parsley. Have a good visit with Jim!
ReplyDelete